Different Not Less - A Book Review


The Book cover has a dark orange background, in the top left and right corners there are cartoon clouds, top centre in white writing in capitals reads Chloe Hayden. Underneath in yellow bubble writing reads Different, Not Less. Underneath this is white writing which reads A neurodivergents guide to embracing your true self and finding your happily ever after. Below this is a rainbow landscape with hills, paths, a rainbow with some little butterflies and  yellow sun. 


 Different, not less by Chloe Hayden.


In contrast to Me Before You, this was a breath of fresh air. The author herself is neuro diverse and shares her experience of living with autism. Although I'm not autistic, I found the memories of ignorant teachers, the bullying kids, the sensory overloads and social exclusions incredibly relatable. Chloe shares what it feels like to have a meltdown, tips for coping, how others can help.


What I found interesting, was, it seems, from the UK to Australia, society is constantly trying to mould people to fit their idea of normal.


I could completely identify with Chloe’s friendship issues. I, too, was and can still feel ostracised from get togethers because I am different. People assume I won't enjoy the activity so just don't invite me. Do I not deserve a choice? My body takes away my choices, freedom’s and decisions, other people should not.


Learning about the history of autism was fascinating. I have noticed that the use of the term Asperger’s Syndrome has been phased out in recent years. I didn't understand why. Now I do, I am shocked.

Hans Asperger, who first labelled the differing line between Asperger’s and autism was a Nazi. He 'determined' who was 'high functioning' enough to live. Those that weren't got experimented on, starved and sent to the death camps. Hans Asperger sent over 800 children to their premature deaths.


Chloe discussed something I, personally, have found hard - adulthood. From body changes, to relationships and employment.


To conclude: I absolutely loved this book. Perhaps because it was written by a neuro diverse person, rather than an onlooker assuming what disability is like.

I recommend it for everyone: disabled people (of any, physical or mental, not just autistic folk), their parents, carers, friends, those just interested in learning about disability. This book is empowering, raw, honest, uplifting and just brilliant.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Great Listen with Listening Books

My Disability Journey

Alton Towers Resort Hotel - Dancing with the Stars